How do our Home Occupational Therapy Services work?
What is In-Home Therapy?
“We Find The Best Fit For Your Family”Watch Video
- Our in-home therapy services are designed to provide ongoing support after insurance-based services lapse.
- In-home physical therapy can help gain and maintain strength, balance, and mobility.
- Occupational therapists can help modify home environments to promote independence.
- Speech therapists can help with communication and swallowing.
Join Our Team
We are always looking to grow our talented team of nurses, therapists, home health aides, and office staff who are passionate about providing quality health care to our clients wherever they call home. As a team member, you’ll enjoy competitive wages, supportive leadership, and opportunities for growth within our family of services.Find A Job Opportunity
What are Home Occupational Therapy Services?
The primary goal of home-based occupational therapy services is to help clients improve their quality of life by allowing them to easily complete daily tasks and return to activities they enjoy.
Occupational therapy services in the home can span a wide range of services. Some of these may include assistance with eating, cooking, bathing, and dressing, while others may be more targeted to helping clients return to activities that used to provide them with enjoyment. For example, an older individual whose eyesight is starting to fade may no longer be able to read books with as much ease as they did in their younger years. An occupational therapist would be able to identify this issue and suggest larger print copies of books or assist with placing magnifiers in the home. While this change may seem simple, it can make all the difference in a senior’s quality of life and outlook on life.
Legacy Home Care understands the importance of seniors maintaining their independence. Our occupational therapy services help clients overcome challenges that come with everyday life as one ages.
Understanding Home Occupational Therapy Services
In the simplest of terms, occupational therapy is intended to help people develop, retain, or recover everyday skills they may have lost or never had. Occupational therapy services for aging individuals focuses on performing normal daily activities (i.e., walking, eating, cooking, bathing, dressing, etc.).
Seniors often find that these tasks become increasingly difficult with age; this may lead them to become frustrated and dejected. The inability to perform what most people perceive to be basic daily tasks can be disheartening for seniors, leading them to self-isolate and refrain from partaking in social activities or hobbies. A qualified, experienced, and caring occupational therapist for seniors will be able to identify these situations and provide the necessary solutions.
Benefits of Home Occupational Therapy Services
There are many benefits of hiring an in-home occupational therapist from Legacy Home Care to provide home occupational therapy services for you or your loved one. Some of these include:
- Promote Independence: Occupational therapists provide seniors with tools and strategies to adapt how they perform daily routines to continue to live independently, yet safely in their own home.
- More Positive Outlook on Life: Not being able to perform what many see as simple, basic tasks may leave clients feeling sad, ashamed, and disheartened. As time goes on, their lack of confidence may filter into other areas of their lives. Receiving occupational therapy services can help restore their skillsets and bring back a more optimistic outlook on life.
- Improved Mood: Loneliness and depression are common among seniors, especially as they lose their ability to perform daily tasks or engage in the hobbies they once enjoyed. Occupational therapy can give this back to them.
- Home Safety: Having an easier time getting around the house, doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning up after themselves will make seniors safer in their homes and less likely to sustain injuries.
Duties of a Home Occupational Therapist
Legacy Home Care’s occupational therapy services may include the following:
- Evaluating a client’s current abilities
- Putting together a care plan for rehabilitation
- Teaching clients how to perform daily tasks in a way that is easily accessible based on abilities
- Working on activities such as:
- Light cleaning
- Going up and down stairs
- Doing laundry
- Modifying the home for safety and ease of movement
- Working with clients to restore their abilities to engage in hobbies such as:
- Crossword puzzles
When is the Right Time to Hire a Home Occupational Therapist?
There may be a variety of factors that go into the decision to hire an occupational therapist for an older loved one. Deteriorating abilities to perform basic tasks could indicate that occupational therapy would be beneficial.
Additionally, signs of memory loss, inability to concentrate, disorientation, and a general disinterest in participating in hobbies or activities may also be cause for concern. Every situation is different, so it is important to evaluate the client’s entire wellbeing, mentally, physically, and emotionally, when making the decision to hire a home occupational therapist.
Why Choose Legacy Home Care for Home Occupational Therapy Services?
Legacy Home Care offers in-home therapy services including home occupational therapy for the older population in 21 Minnesota counties. Our team of occupational therapists are qualified to work in all home environments, including private residences, assisted living facilities, and other senior communities. Our therapists are licensed, qualified, and experienced in providing aging individuals with the tools they need to improve their quality of life. In addition to our occupational therapy services, we also offer a multitude of other home care services for seniors including physical therapy, speech therapy, social work services, nurse care management, medication management, and many others.
If you have any questions about our Home Occupational Therapy Services in Minneapolis and St. Paul, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
The Simple Steps To Start Services
Simply call us at 763.593-1000 or complete our online form – whichever is easiest for you!
Our experienced liasons will meet with you & your loved ones to explore the best service options.
Our skilled nurses will complete an assessment to ensure all your needs will be met.
Just like that, your services begin, often immediately after the nurse assessment.